Sunday, December 03, 2006

Making it real...

I just finished helping Thing One with his social studies report. Yeah yeah, I am using the term "help" rather loosely. As it really means, guide, redirect, and pretty much orchestrate the project. I know the teachers aren't fooled with who does what on such projects. But, I don't make the rules, I just make sure the project is completed as assigned. And hey, he used the sizzix machine unsupervised. That counts for something, right?

But over the course of our study, we learned a few things about La Paz. I had to do some serious editing on the "economy" question. Coca is a major export: and we aren't talking rip offs of coca-cola. Yeah, THAT coca. There is also some slave trading going on. And, well, a big time cultural celebration includes fetuses of llamas. Oh why couldn't he have gotten assigned something more benign like Oslo?


One fun fact that we did discover and let him include is the new sport of women wrestling. The indigenous women have few means to generate income so apparently a new sport involves wrestling in traditional garb. Honest! I even checked snopes.com this tidbit to make sure it wasn't some urban legend. And here is the proof:



Oh my, I can just imagine the class of giggles when he starts to talk about this being the most interesting thing he learned about his international capital! He will no doubt remain the reigning class clown after his report.


4 comments:

Colleen O said...

I didn't know any of that! Research isn't like it was when I was a kid.

tz said...

wow, makes me want to go there and see the women wrestlers.

tz said...

now i'm rethinking it and i want to BE one of the wrestlers.

tosin said...

I can't stop laughing at that pic.
Too funny!!

~toemi~