Thursday, August 01, 2024

July Recap

 RIGHT NOW

I'm listening to the whir of the ceiling fan in the "hen den" (or my craft room/office space).  It's actually a calming sound- something I hadn't really noticed before.  And of course it is helping cool us off- as we enter yet another week of weather approaching triple digits.  Uff Da!

I'm loving that- one day into a new month and I'm sitting here at the keyboard- determined to update the blog.   These monthly recaps help me sift through the countless photos I take with my phone camera- and allow me to reflect on what we did this past month.  And while some months the creativity flows a little easier- I am loving that this is a habit I have stuck to for many years now.

So what happened this month?

There were houseguests to host...
as Thing 1 had a friend fly in to join in on the
madness that is FanFest Denver- 

And parades to attend
While our Things have outgrown the tradition-
I still enjoy joining my friends
while we cheer on the young ones...
taking pride in the knowledge that I started this tradition
out of nostalgic feelings for my own 4th of July memories
circa 1975
Some of us had 
chores to  tackle...
as Thing 1 worked incredibly hard to make the 
Pat Cave- company ready

Others had 
Kittens to be rescued...
as I joined a friend for a morning of volunteering
at a local animal shelter- we just drove the kittens from point A to point B
I am proud to report-
when it comes to cats- we are a one-and-done family..
Owen remains our only...

I took time to update some of my crafting skills
By enrolling in an introductory class at our library's "maker's space"

Where after a few classes- you are welcome to come and play with these pricier crafting gadgets
As the heat continued to climb...
and the calendar cleared out...
it was time to head for the hills...

in search of solitude
and wildflowers
And while we found plenty of beauty in 
Crested Butte...
it would take a bit of extra work to find the solitude
Note to future self-
Taylor Park Reservoir is beautiful-but
way too popular for our tastes.
We tried to join the fun of
Fairplay Burro Days..
but the first day of the festival- apparently is set up day..
and the only ass we spotted was this rusty one

Fear not- the day was still well spent..
As we took in the history of South Park
Uh oh- wrong one...
This one...
Where in the 1950s- a bunch of citizens interested in preserving the history of this area, started to build this city museum.  Some buildings are original
such as this one- once the town brewery now a well curated museum..
while other buildings have been relocated to add to the "park" style the organizers were aiming for.
And while we've been to plenty of these types of living history museums in our travels- this one felt special..
Maybe it's just that our selfie game is getting better...
But I was impressed!   
For while it was readily apparent that it remains a rather low-budget affair, 
for something that started at a grass roots level..
it remains well loved and nicely curated!
I truly felt like you left feeling a little more connected
 to the history of these often times tired looking Colorado mountain towns!
Bonus points- in that we found more flowers...
to include my summer favorite..
the Columbine...
I'm feeling just right
I've got my stitchery-and Olympics to watch
and the sun seems to be setting a little earlier each night...
reminding me that these hot days of summer are drifting away..

Until next time..
Don't be afraid to hit pause...
and zoom in..
for it's sometimes in the thick of the meadow..
that you spot the sweetness of baby moose!



























No comments: