Friday, November 05, 2021

Right Now- October recap

 RIGHT NOW...

I'm listening to... a google meeting with my colleagues in the nursing department.   It's our twice a month Friday morning coffee chats.   A calming way to start our day- especially after a rough week where we find ourselves dealing with yet another change to the district COVID protocol.  

Speaking of work, I was recently recognized by my state professional organization with the title of School Nurse of the Year.   I have to say- it's a humbling award as I know that all of my colleagues are working just as hard (if not harder) than myself, we all  pour our whole selves into our profession.  So when they name you as  as the best of the best it is indeed a considerable honor.   

On a funny note- when asked to send in a picture of me- it took a fair amount of digging to find one that I was smiling, looked fairly decent and wasn't wearing sunglasses or holding an adult beverage.   What does that say about me?   The biggest grins are when I've got my shades on or am celebrating with a glass of wine or whiskey?   

I'm loving....that this month brought two special occasions to celebrate with friends.

First was a beautiful bridal shower for family friend Allie. 


 When her mom (my dear friend Judy) passed away, Allie really struggled.  That struggle took her down some pretty dark paths, but now, here she is a beautiful, in love and sober young bride.   

What an honor it was to be part of her special celebration- and even more so to be joined by Thing 2- as my plus 1 to the party.  

The 2nd celebration was of course with the BAGS.   This time we gathered to celebrate the youngest in the pack with some home town treats shipped in from Chicago.  Oh my-Portillos for the win.

This time we invited the men folk to join us- because HELLO- we can't be having Chicago style Italian beef without making sure the guys get a sample.   So here is indeed a rare pic of the Mr. socializing with the "coven" as he affectionally calls my crew.  
I'm feeling  ok.   We've been fortunate to have a nice long "Indian summer" with only one short cold snap reminding us that the seasons are about due to change.  


  I won't lie- I REALLY missed our usual week long "Fall Break" that occurs during October.   Our district is trying to sort out the pros and cons of a week long break in mid October or push through and take the full week of Thanksgiving.   Given my role, I can't really say I have a true "dog in the fight".   I like that October weather is predictable enough that Hubby and I can go camping and in years' past we've made excellent use of that time and traveled to nearby states (New Mexico, UT, Northern AZ and South Dakota).   But at the same time, I am looking forward to having some downtime during Thanksgiving- a chance to get my house back in order, some books read and just enjoy a break from the routine of work.  

I'm needing...to wrap up this update.   The morning call has ended, and it's time to greet the students and start our day.   

Until next time...



No comments: