Friday, June 15, 2007

A first grade shake down?

I'm still not sure what he's up to, but Thing Two was begging to take some $ to school. He said he wanted to pay a debt for one of his pals. Aw, that's so sweet, but seriously, first graders shaking each other down? I thought we went through this in kindergarten? Haven't we moved on to some other tactic? Wedgies, wet willies or even swirlies?

Apparently, one kid accidentally tripped another kid and the tripped kid said "you owe me". And somewhere in this conversation Thing Two decided that meant paying the tripped one some cash. I tried my best to talk him out of this but I could see he was pretty anxious about it all, and yet the facts and the timing of his concern just didn't add up. Listening to his story sounded like he'd taken bits and pieces of all sorts of past encounters and created one huge Friday Morning Fear. Add in that all of this unfolds in the five minutes before we head out the door for school...and well, yes, he left home with $1 in his pocket to pay his friend's debt.

Odds are there is a momma who is going to discover an extra dollar in her daughter's pocket and say "Where did this come from?" and I'm guessing the little girl will say "I have NO idea, But Thing Two insisted I take it and I didn't want to hurt his feelings".

Man...I'm gonna miss the innocence of first grade (but that is about all I"ll miss!)

No comments: