Thursday, December 31, 1998

Year in Review: 1998

 RIGHT NOW

Foreward- in order for me to locate this entry with greater ease- I am changing the publication date to match the date that I have summarized. In truth- this post was written 6/2024 as part of my ongoing efforts to switch to a digital format for story telling.  


I'm thinking yikes- how do I get over my writer's block? 

I am indeed motivated to break down the last remaining albums for this project, and I found a good book to listen to while I scan the pictures.  

 But then comes the hard part- putting a narrative to the photos that I've deemed worthy of scanning.    I don't want it too wordy (this is after all a project aimed at reducing the clutter, simplifying the process).   But I also want to say something about the year and celebrate the high points.  

It then struck me- hold on, I write a family Christmas letter that is often times a yearly summary.  What if I just copy that?   Not perfect- but easier than sitting here, staring at the keyboard- and well, giving up.

In 1998- the theme I went with was a  Top 10 list.  These were all the rage with comedians like David Letterman. Sidebar- writing in this style is not as easy as it appears.   Anyways, for our letter- we focused on 10 things that Thing 1 figured out in 1998.  Given he was only 6 months at the start of year- well let's just say he had a lot of learning to do!  

Top 10 Things that Thing 1 figured out this year.

10.  How to get around.  

There's crawling
and  walking 
But of course the best...is to hitch-hike either with Dad
or maybe even mom?
9.  How to meet new people...
that was super easy- ya just smile and look cute...
Seattle Feb 1998- meeting Martha's godmother, UK
while we officially met the Lishes at the end of 1997-
this friendship would take root and start to bloom in 1998

8.  How to eat solids
Because if you can't eat solids-
you don't get to savor one of Great Grandma Irene's homemade cookies!
7.  What to do with gadgets
Be it a keyboard or a remote
in no time he discovered the magic
 that happens at the push of a button!
6.  What fun it is to play in the water...
there's the fountain at Grandpa's..
and the local swimming pool..
where Dom risked the skin-irritation of the pool to take Thing 1 for a spin..
and even the local reservoir...
Yep- he's a summer baby- pretty content to be poolside!


5.  How much fun having a cat can be

4.  How to skip the car ride and still visit cool places
You can take a train..
and end up in Paris..
where you are still small enough to be launched from the canon?!
Or sometimes the train just wanders through the trees
But that can be fun too..
You can take a plane...
and get to meet your auntie in CA
or your cousin in WI
and of course the best is spending time amusing one's grandparents..

3.   Holidays are for dressing up..
there's St. Patrick's day...where we are all a little Irish
and Easter- where treats come in baskets
that afterwards make for a perfect way to hide from more pictures?
even on one's birthday-you get a special hat and outfit
and of course, Halloween where even the big kids get dressed up?!

2.  There are all kinds of parks
from the national ones
to the local ones...
and even one's filled with History...

1.  I am the center of my family's world..
at least for now...

Until next time...
Give yourself a  round of applause..
as that's a wrap on the year in review-1998 edition! 
































































No comments: