Saturday, September 24, 2022

Right Now- Recap August/September

 RIGHT NOW....

I'm listening to the silence.   After a busy  few weeks, things finally seem to be quieting down...at least enough for me to fix myself a cup of tea and reflect on all that has happened since I last updated the blog



This girl loves a good quote- and what comes to my mind right now is this one...
Life brings tears, smiles and and memories...the tears dry, the smiles may fade but those memories...live on forever.

In the early morning hours of September 6, my fiercely private, stubborn  and independent father, Richard passed away after a year of steady decline in his health.   He was slated to transfer to a care facility later that day, and I believe he called out with a "No Thanks, I think I'll pass" and so he did.  

My dad and I have had a complicated relationship for most of my adult life- and yet- these past few weeks, I have found myself setting down those complicated emotions and instead, celebrating the many gifts he shared with my sister, our families and his friends!  

And that is what I'm loving right now- the tears, the smiles but best of all...  the memories!  

When my mom died, I was just 22- in my own bubble of  Army life- so I missed all the work that goes into planning and preparing a memorial service.  
This time- it was my sister and I who were kept busy, busy that first week...
As we sorted...
 Does this bring you joy?  we giggled
Sifted
Can you tell what was recycling and what was trash?  
Yeah, we too quickly lost track and soon we just said..
Trash it...
We found ourselves scratching our head...
As we found pictures that left us saying "Ok, what's the rest of THAT story?"
to being reminded that he had a sentimental side after all...
because had it been left up to me- this jacket would have been pitched long ago..
We paused for some comfort food...
which HELLO- WI has plenty of choices...
Be it donuts from Linda's 
Sweets from the Sweet shop..
Or how about the best bacon and brats in town from
the Holmen Meat Locker...
We made sure emotional eating was a routine part of our day!
We giggled as sis signed the papers
and while it didn't trend on social media 
like King Charles' signing for his inheritance...
We did still find a crown for the Executor to sport...
 Our families would join us as the service date approached...
And while they were willing and able to help...we'd pretty much gotten things sorted on our own..
Harper had just started a new quarter at school-but was with us in spirit..
On Saturday, September 17- we gathered at Halfway Creek Lutheran Church
to celebrate the life of my dad...
We sang- 
ok...they sang- nobody needs to hear me sing..
We saluted...
my dad having served briefly in the 1950s 
with special friends serving in the honor guard..
Golfing and Happy Hour Pals- Buck and Dave R
we shared stories at Richard's 
Farewell Tailgate Party...
and hosted his "Last Call" Happy Hour back at the house

Where more stories were shared..
connected with cousins (We missed you Kay!)
Passed the torch...
for after 50+ years..
no Granum will be calling this place home..
and found comfort in the arms of "forever friends"...


and we even learned a little bit more about that chamber pot 
that had sat outside the basement bathroom 
for as long as any of us could remember...
Seems it was part of a "shivaree" gift for Vera and Art Lysdahl..Aunt Birdie's mom and dad...How Dad ended up with it is anyone's guess (we suspect he bought it at an auction- the man loved hunting for treasures at auctions!

I'm feeling at peace.    
In 2020- after some gentle natured teasing by sis and I- when we discovered our uncle had written his own eulogy- Dad sent us an 8 page document with all his wishes spelled out- from preferred bible verses and hymns to be sung, to what to serve for lunch.  Shucks- he even requested a New Orleans Jazz parade (sadly- we weren't able to locate that request-) but we did end the service with the UGA-fight song (ok, most of you think it's called the Battle Hymn of the Republic).

Anyways- along with the requests was this poem- "The Dash"...I knew this was a favorite as he's referenced it a few times when he was in story telling mode.  
I feel that my dad used his Dash wisely-  living a full and vibrant life-
be it traveling the country with his family in tow (determined to show "his girls" the joy of exploring new places),
making friends and maintaining friendships 
(no easy task in a world before email/texting/and affordable long distance phone calls!)
He would show us that contrary to popular belief- one can "return home" as he settled back in Holmen-where his story began.   
Reconnecting with his past friendships while exploring new roles- from golfer to artist...Dad had some serious talents worthy of admiration.  
He was the epitome of living your best life possible...and for that I am grateful to call him dad.  
Oh but wait- the title says August recap too- What happened then?   
Seriously- I have no idea...
got off the plane from Hawaii on August 1st- and was in the office 2 hours later.   
August was a hot blur-  back to school, brunch with the besties, 
and well- just every day stuff I supposed

Until next time...Remember your dash!


































No comments: