Monday, June 20, 2022

Summer of Fun-Chapter 2

 SAW-HEARD-DID

SAW:   Since I last checked in, I have seen how quickly things can change.   Mostly in terms of physical health and well being but other ways as well.

A perfect place to recover from my Scooter road rash-
A COE campground near Spring Valley WI
Enjoying all the traditional sights of rural WI...from classic red barns
to an award winning cheese factory...
Where the fishermen haul their boat with the buggy...
and I got myself back in the saddle after my tumble
Ah, goodness Guernsey, can't you just smell the "Dairy Air"
We arrived at our planned destination on Friday, 6.10. 
The summer plan has always been to spend some quality time with my dad- to help gently encourage him to consider "what next" when it comes to declining health and independent living.   

Well, so much for gentle...

Friday my dad shared that he'd been exposed to COVID earlier in the week.  Ok, no big deal-he's been vaccinated and boosted-and had little symptoms.

Saturday-he thought "maybe I should take a COVID test".   Not really mentioning symptoms, I figured it was just a courtesy thing knowing we were due to attend a family wedding later that day.


When it turned positive (faint on the home test), we shifted gears and decided I'd leave the men folk here and I'd go to the wedding solo.

By early Sunday morning, my hubby had called-using his calm but concerned voice-"things are ok, but I need you home as soon as possible".  I've heard that voice a time or two...and knew that something wasn't right back at my dad's place...

I skipped my plans to see the sights of Chippewa Falls, and made the 90 minute drive home.

Within a matter of hours- we were calling 911 and my dad was on his way to the ER for evaluation of a variety of symptoms.

Talk about pivoting on a dime...

The dust is settling-  the patients are recovering and we shall survive.

Oh yes-  patients as in plural- in Hubby's effort to be superman for my dad- he was exposed to a significant viral load and he too is recovering from COVID.   With the exception of a trip to urgent care (to score some antiviral medication), he's been able to recover outside of hospitalization.


HEARD- In between the chaos- I have heard the calming voices of ER and hospital staff.   Two years into this process, I was happy to see both the ER doctor and the inpatient internist taking my dad's health seriously and looking at the big picture

The inpatient rehab team-seems to have a narrower lens of "move 'em in, move 'em out" which I can appreciate to some degree but being on the patient end of things- it's been a bit of a bummer.

DID:   Well, before the COVID hit the fan, I was able to sneak away for the family wedding.   

My cousin's youngest son was the groom- and attending this event gave me a chance to see my paternal aunt and her kids in a happy setting.   


Beautiful wedding on a lake- aside from a downpour just an hour before the ceremony-it was a perfect day for a wedding.   Wisconsin weather at its' finest.


I also took a day for some self care-   taking a drive up the Great River Road.   Starting in Lacrosse, I crossed the mighty M, and drove along to the Minnesota town of Winona, and then crossed the river again, and headed back to home base here in Holmen.  

Along the way I 



Fed my soul with baked goods and a strong espresso

Walked down memory lane

Growing up, my mom guarded her bottle of Watkins Baking Vanilla  as if it was a irreplaceable treasure



Picked up a flight of wine to go 
(the patio was perfect for sampling wine-just not somewhere I wanted to explore solo).
Strolled through the 2008 winner of "Scenic Beauty award" 
by a team called Citizens for Scenic Wisconsin (never knew such a committee existed, but there ya go)...Galesville, WI

While in the moment, I still felt my head and heart filled with worries-  Recovering from COVID is challenging enough, but you toss in some "co-morbidities" and well, the worries just climb.



I guess that's it....Until next time- wash your hands, cover your cough, get the 2nd booster, save room for pie...and enjoy the ride...ya never know when the views will be changing...


1 comment:

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

Martha,
I hope that you're feeling (much!) better by now and that things are settling down in Holmen. Take care you two, enjoy the rest of our summer.