Thursday, May 26, 2022

Right Now- May Recap

 RIGHT NOW...

I'm listening to the morning chatter of the last day of the school year.   Staff coming in with that sense of excitement and anticipation.   Seems this is a popular day for me to do my May update- last year I recalled the same sounds but it really is a unique vibe- when all of us (save a couple administrative positions that work year round) head out for close to 10 weeks of unpaid time off.   

When National Nurse Day falls on the same day as staff appreciation day- you really haul in on the sweet treats!  

I'm loving that this month has flown by...with minimal work drama, plenty of sunshine and some fun times spent with family and friends.

Let's start with family- I was asked to join my god-daughter Sam as she received her nursing school pin.  As nurses, we consider the pinning ceremony to be almost a bigger deal than the graduation itself.   It is a time for reflection both on our own practice and a time for celebration, welcoming new graduates into a profession.   With my own retirement on the near horizon- I found myself reflecting on how my practice has changed in 35 years, and what changes will Sam see over her career as a nurse. 

On Saturday, we drove up to check in on my mom and other relatives.   This is the year of "firsts" for my cousin, with her mom (my aunt) passing away this past August.   It's always calming to walk through the cemetery, reading the inscriptions and recalling snippets of stories my grandmother would have shared (she was a private woman, so not a lot of stories were shared, but names were familiar)

One last shot of the little white church along the Wolf River...
Next stop on the day of nostalgia was at the Red Mill
Growing up, Cousin Sarah and I would spend a week with our grandmother.   One given was that during that week long stay, Grandma would load us up in her car and we'd head over to the Red Mill.  First built in the 1855, it was operational for close to 100 years and served as a resource for area farmers to grind both flour and livestock feed.   In 1959, some retirees from Menomonee Falls (another curious coincidence as that is the small town that both my mom and my aunt spent years raising their families) bought the property at an auction, added a decorative water wheel and would later add a covered bridge and a small chapel.  

For Sarah and I- it is as time stood still- with many of the favorites still present...

From there, we swung by the small town that my maternal grandma and Sarah's maternal and paternal grandparents called home.   
Grandma's cute little house on Birdsall street has seen better days...but fortunately, the root beer stand still serves yummy ice cream treats! 

 

While in WI- I was fortunate to stay with a childhood friend and her husband.     Nancy has recently moved out of the urban area, into the same bedroom community that my cousin has called home.  

   While having been in her new house for less than 2 months- she still scouted out some fun stuff for us to check out.   We visited the Museum of Wisconsin Art- which is a very small gallery featuring the works of Wisconsin native artists.   From there, we hiked on one of the many bike/walking paths that had once been part of the rail system.

The weather was perfect, the time with traveling down memory lane was just right...and while a sliver of nostalgia crept  in, I was  eager to get back to where I have established my home- here in CO.


Moving on to time with friends- the highlight was the derby party hosted by MB, and Jerry. 
Not my picture- but one I swiped from Instagram..
How fun to see all of us in our finest derby hats and this year, mother nature cooperated with near perfect weather.   


I'm feeling excited.   It's been a bumpy couple of years navigating a pandemic in a school setting.   I personally have reached a point of saturation- that's not to say I don't care about COVID but I am not letting it rule the day here at work.    I'm excited for the variety of travel Hubby and I have planned for the summer- some time just wandering, some time with family, some time exploring new areas with old friends.   Wherever the road takes us- I say BRING.IT.ON!!!



No comments: