Tuesday, January 05, 2021

2020- The Year that it was....

A New year....a time to say goodbye and a time to say Hello...

This past year we seemed to have a lot of good-byes to process- not just the earthly passing of several family members and friends but the more figurative good-byes as the restrictions of COVID continue way beyond that initial "stay home-flatten the curve" situation we started with back in March.

But there were plenty of HELLOs to be savored during this past year....

Hello Family-    It's been a bumpy year at times for our family unit- navigating new courses both academically (both Things are hitting pause on their post-secondary education- as online learning is just not their thing), and socially.   Yet at the end of the day (or rather year in this case) we are stronger as a unit than ever before.
Thing 2-and Hubby checking out the new ride..
Cuddly things- with the hit Christmas gift of snuggle-sacks...
Excuse me while I past myself on the back...
It's been a few years since Mama Bear has totally hit the mark on present purchases
Hello Hubby- November marked 25 years as husband and wife.   November anniversaries have always translated to "we'll celebrate later"...dating way back to a delayed honeymoon in April of the following year.    We did treat ourselves to a new furnace- if treat is the right word- since the old one ceased to work.    Fingers crossed that some day- we can resume our favorite activity as a couple- traveling the world.   But for now- we are content with the small excursions we managed to take while "socially distancing" from those not in our pod.  



Hello Friends-there is an old quote that friendship isn't necessarily about who you've known the longest (although I will say I have a couple friends that I've known a long time that still match this definition) but rather who walked into your life and said "I'm here for you" and proved it.     This past year- time and time again, the friends proved to be that rock that helped me navigate new paths, find comfort in new norms and well just have fun with.  Granted, how we gathered saw some  changes ..from in-person coffee chats to zoom calls, group texts and exchanging of funny memes.  But they were still there and that's the important part!
The six-pack, minus a few and with a substitution-took in the lights at the Botanical Gardens 12.30.20
A surprise visit from a long time friend- he was in town to buy a plane?!
Mountain shenanigans- COVID be damned (Oct 2020)
When the restaurants are deemed not safe, you bring the chef to you!  Rocky Mtn. Raclette (10/2020)

Hello Solitude- a lot of people found themselves home alone way more than they prefer.  However, for me, I've really enjoyed all the "excuses" to stay home due to the Pandemic.   I managed to read over 60 books, take countless walks (the better the audio-book, the longer the walk), I've even found myself finding time to play in the craft room from time to time (no epic projects just some puttering around.     

Using up my  stash and actually make some cards like I planned to when I bought the stuff..
perfecting the art of the charcuterie ..otherwise known as lunchables-for-grown-ups.
Mastering the art of mix-master...with supervision courtesy of Owen
A spot of tea?   Sounds lovely...
A river walk- at the tale end of the Fall colors (Avon, CO October 2020)
Working from home during December- meant I had the time and inclination to pull out the holiday dishes
Hello Owen   I've always enjoyed my friends' pets but just couldn't be bothered with having a pet of my own.   And technically- I still don't have a pet- the kitten belongs to Thing 2...but seriously- who's believing that statement?   Owen is 100% a family pet- he enjoys snoozing with any of us, any of our feet are fair game, and you'd best hold on tight to your cocktail as he's quite the little sip-and-spill master if you don't watch yourself.  



So while some have referred to 2020 as a dumpster fire (or other equally colorful descriptive terms) for us it was fine...just like we shared in the Christmas card
..It's fine, we're fine...everything really is fine...
really it is...I promise!


Until next time....









No comments: