Friday, June 26, 2020

Summer of Fun-Halfway there

6.7.2020-6.26.2020
SAW

Yikes- so much for me doing a consistent update!  Oh well, a quick glance and I  realize we are at the halfway point of this summer's break.    Time for a little recap I suppose.

We are starting to see COVID restrictions easing up.   Restaurants are opening up, and at least for me, I am starting to venture out a little more each day.      Yes, the concern of COVID remains, and I continue to mask up when running errands, wash my hands often, limit where I go and why, but for my own mental health-it's been good to be back out and about and step out from the fog of fear.
HEARD
Those mountains continue to call out to me- and during this interval, I managed to sneak away for 2 quick camping adventures.  
DID
 For the first excursion, Thing 1 and I met up with Hubby back in the Leadville area.   Our arrival was pushed back due to some weather systems that resulted in this lovely surprise for hubby:
Photo courtesy of Hubby
In the interest of full disclosure, he had seen the forecast and wasn't really surprised but still- June and snow are two images you don't typically associate as being an appropriate pairing (well, unless one lives in the southern hemisphere)

I think we missed the window to get the Things hooked on camping-but I guess that's OK- the RV does get pretty crowded when you add in another adult.  Things go from cozy to crowded rather quickly.   However, Thing 1 is our homebody-and it's good that he sometimes takes a chance and tries something outside of his comfort zone.  With a stretch of days off we convinced him to tag along for a quick mountain adventure.
The genuine smiles suggest he didn't just tolerate this trip, he may have actually enjoyed it?!
On the way home, I pushed my luck in asking him to take a quick little hike with me
 and checking out my favorite spot for retail therapy
Breckenridge- as mountain towns go- isn't necessarily as charming as others- but as I am my mother's daughter, I do enjoy wandering through the gift shops and usually find a little something that just calls out to me-this time it was a sign of the times- a sassy face mask.

The town decided to close down the main drag of the town.  I have to say it was a lot nicer having it be free from cars.   Fingers crossed they continue this even after the fear of COVID subsides.

For the next camping adventure, Hubby and I headed out to an area less than an hour from the house. 
 
Rampart Range is popular with ATV/Dirt bike crowds but has some free dispersed camping that we decided to check out.  
We ended up switching campsites when a larger, flatter, further from the trail spot opened up.   We discovered this twig lean to near the fire pit, and I of course had to add in a 2020 marker.   I'd be curious to see what else gets added to site #14?

This impromptu camping adventure proved to be another peaceful escape from the daily routine here at home.   The butterflies were playing tag during my daily walk (I'm on an 11 day stretch of getting at least 10k steps in-not an easy feat given how hilly this area was) and a few flowers were in bloom (maybe they are weeds, but if so, they sure were pretty)
And the blue skies seemed to stretch forever...

And now that I am home-what next I wonder.   Hoping for some more family moments-and shared laughter-maybe even catch Thing 2 and share a photo of him (he's been busy working doing lawn care, and hanging out with his friends)

Until next time...






No comments: