Monday, June 19, 2006

The first day of summer vacation...

Ah, can you see the smile on my face? Do you hear the echo of silence as I go about my morning routine, cheerful in the knowledge that we don't have to rush out the door at any particular time? We can do what we want when we want...for today is the first official day of summer break!

Yeah right, I expect in a matter of minutes the Things will hunt me down, begging to go somewhere, do something or their most repeated request: have someone over! And much as I am inclined to fulfill their every wish (yes, I'm soon to be inducted into the indulging parent hall of fame) I'm also reminded that this too is MY summer vacation. So, no, at least for today we are not having anyone over. We are not doing something out of the ordinary. After lunch, we have been invited to a friend's house...but I've not told them that little treat for the day.

For right now, we're just going to enjoy this morning.....knowing that soon enough we'll be back to the chaos of family life! And even worse, when vacation does end on August 1st, school will be starting ten minutes earlier then before (tardy bell will now ring at 0801)! Yikes...that reality alone is enough to remind me to savor the slow pace of summer break!

No comments: