Saturday, June 08, 2019

Summer of Fun-Week 2

SAW-HEARD-DID
SAW:  This week I saw myself really getting into the groove of my time off.   There is a meme going around that says something to the effect of teachers (and school nurses) aren't off for the summer-they are in recovery.   I chuckle in that-yes-there is some truth in such a statement.   And week 2, I'm really getting in the groove of enjoying my recovery.  
 HEARD:  The week started out with us being reminded with a loud CLUNK one of the less joyful sides of home ownership- a broken garage spring.   It happened Friday evening (5/31) , and a repair person had us up and running by Saturday afternoon.   This pushed back our plans for camping by a day- but in hindsight, it was a day well spent playing catch up and tending to some other chores around the house.

  In terms of happier sounds- A trip up to the mountains and back takes about 2.5-3 hours each way- a perfect length of time to get into a good audio book.   On the way up, I finished listening to the memoir by Anna Kendrick called "Scrappy Little Nobody".   On the way back, I started listening to a historical fiction book about the Dakota Apartment complex in New York City.   I'm enjoying the book way more than I initially thought.   A good audio book is a great way to pass the time when driving. 

DID:   The highlight of week 2 was indeed our little camping get-away. 

  As we enter our 3rd summer season owning the RV, we are becoming rather proficient on the "boondocking" camping adventures and I have to say- I really prefer it over a traditional campground and especially prefer it over an RV park.   It's not just the frugal side of me that enjoys camping for free on national forest or BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land.   It's the solitude that we enjoy having the place practically to ourselves.   For those unfamiliar with RV lingo- boondocking refers to camping/RV without hook-ups.   So, we use solar panels and a generator for electricity, and rely on the water we bring in to sustain us while we are camping.   It takes a bit of flexibility and creativity-but the rewards are so worth it.  

This week's adventures took us up to the town of Buena Vista- one of my favorite mountain communities.

   Located along the Arkansas River, it's a town that was first settled because of  the plentiful water and favorable conditions for agriculture.   These days, it's popular with those who enjoy outdoor activities- with an impressive river walk area, white water rafting opportunities and even a nearby hot spring (or two).  

 I took several lovely walks along the river, as I've started an exercise challenge aimed at getting this old body up and running a 5k in just 6 short weeks?   

Yeah, probably not, but I'm going to give it the old lady's best effort.   I must say-jogging is way easier when this is your view.   And look, they even had a place for me to crash after I completed my work outs?!   
I did check out one of the 2 area hot springs.   The water was indeed very hot and it felt wonderful on my weary bones. 
 But in general, this particular hot springs still needs some work to make it aesthetically as pleasing as some of the other more popular ones in our state.   

I also took a little road trip to the slightly larger town of Salida.   Sat by the river- and enjoyed a coffee- listening to the roar of the water.

It's amazing the sense of peace and calm that comes over me when I'm in the mountains.   I wonder if that feeling would linger if we ever found ourselves living somewhere like this full time?   Who knows...but I sure do enjoy the less frantic way of life.

On Thursday, we decided to switch to another area that allows free camping, south of the Poncha Pass.   
This area proved even more isolating and brought Hubby closer to some trails he was eager to check out on his motorcycle.  

On Friday, I left Hubby in the mountains to fend for himself, and headed back to town.   I'd been invited to a graduation party for a neighbor boy and I really wanted to make it to my WW meeting since my mind is finally back on track (which in turn means my eating choices are back in alignment).   

Today, I checked out an apartment with Thing 2.   Crazy how expensive things have gotten here in the metro area.   But, I think the place he found will provide him with everything he needs and hopefully set him up for success as he enters his 2nd year of college.

Thing 1 and I bonded over a bit of Netflix and popcorn.

All in all...a very productive week-a nice balance of time spent with family, friends and enjoying the beauty that my state has to offer.

Until next week....

No comments: