Monday, November 05, 2012

Thankful for Day 5

It goes without saying, that I am thankful for my Things.  While there are moments when having two teenagers is overwhelming, overall they are good boys and fill my heart with pride and joy.

Today, I was thankful that Thing Two is a reliable and responsible kid.   He had a 3 p.m. orthodontist appointment.  And I had a situation unfolding at work that would keep me from getting him there at that point in the afternoon.   What to do, what to do....

Guess what?  he got himself there!   I signed him out from school, called the orthodontist and said he was on his way. Sure enough, he made it there, got himself signed in  and bonus points for remembering to call me and let me know he was finished and headed home.   (OK, so it is possible the ladies in the office prompted him to make that call, but I'll go ahead and give him the credit).  

Sure it helps, that the weather was cooperative and the distance involved was less than 1.5 miles.   Just the same, it really helped that he was willing and able to take on this task all on his own.    Parents may groan and grumble that being a parent to teens is miserable...but today?  the silver lining was indeed that desire to be more independent and willing to take care of things on their own.

No comments: