Tuesday, April 13, 2010

You never forget your "first"

Today, I made my first call to 911 as a school nurse. I knew it was only a matter of time before I had to make such a call. I mean, after all there is only so much one can do as the school nurse....

I just wish I didn't have to make this type of call...

A student, so depressed, he woke up this morning and decided that handfuls of pills would help eas his pain.

Kudos to the brave girlfriend who marched him into my office before the day had even started.
Kudos to his extended family for their concern and support as they rushed to his side...focusing on the positive "he told someone, we're so relieved he told someone...."
Kudos to the staff at my school that stepped right in and helped out
Kudos to the prompt response from our local emergency service personnel (ok, it helps that they are but 1/2 miles down the street).

I hope I never forget this boy: the sadness and fear in his eyes, the cry for help he was making through his actions.

And know...that this is why I do what I do....to be there for "my 2000 kids"....

3 comments:

ganelle said...

Oh Martha! How awful. I'm so glad you were there to help deal with the situation and to get the right resources to that boy. I'm so sorry!

Laura said...

I second what Ganelle said. Your compassion and your competence make for the perfect combo as a school nurse. We'll be praying for this young man, that he recovers both physically and emotionally from this situation.

Dodi said...

They are very lucky to have you... thats a tough job!!