Saturday, January 30, 2010

Approval was fleeting...

Thanks to the magic of "Power School", which gives parents the ability to keep track of what happens at school, we learned last night that perhaps Thing One's forgetfulness didn't deserve the "kindness factor" bestowed on him with yesterday's lunchtime delivery.

Apparently, he's been forgetting more than just his binder. "I forgot" has become the catch phrase du jour for this boy....tossing it around as if it is a get-out-of-jail free card.

After our family meeting, he disappeared upstairs...where he was later found taking all his stuffed animals off the shelf in his room. Trust me, that's a lot of moose stuffed on those shelves.

When asked what he was doing, he sadly looked up at us and said "I am abandoning my childhood". (guilty parental confession here: we'd laid it on pretty thick that he needed to start taking more responsibility, acting more like a 12 yr old).

This morning, I went to check on him and found him hovering in the corner of the room. He'd barricaded himself into the corner that was now filled with the plethora of moose.

Sweetly, I asked "What are you doing, bud?".

"I'm playing in the ruins of my childhood".

Aw...how sweet is that? Pulling on the old heart strings of a sentimental momma.
Well, you made me smile...but you are still grounded!

4 comments:

redlegsrides said...

he now refers to that corner as the "cellar of shame"

hubby

laura said...

Oops! Which is harder...being the "bustee" or being the one "busted"?

Mrs. Kravitz said...

I love this post because it epitomizes being a parent of a middle schooler: trying to get them to be responsible without ripping them from their childhood... Feeling so proud of them one moment only to feel so frustrated with them the next... I have learned so much in the last couple of years since we've been in middle school! Good luck -- I think you're an awesome parent!

P.S. Don't you just love Power School?!

Dodi said...

"I forgot" has become the two most dreaded words to me. DD1 "forgot" her Wordly Wise book EVERY SINGLE DAY last week, so did none of her homework associated with it. Even though I wrote her notes in her planner and reminded her every morning.

I laughed at this story - the ruins of my childhood. Firstborn drama at it's finest.