Saturday, January 03, 2009

What's your English Patient?


Mrs. Zimmer and I were chatting recently when I confessed that, try as I might, I'm just not seeing the thrill of the Twilight series. I went on to say I feel like that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine admitted to not liking The English Patient. If you recall that classic Seinfeld episode, Elaine was the only one that didn't like the movie and took a fair amount of heat for admitting so.

Well, this makes me two times the spoil sport...because I didn't understand The English Patient nor am I appreciating the beauty of Twilight. Oh sure, it's a great concept for a story...vampires living among us....but I"m really more in the mood for a book like Kite Runner or The Red Tent. These were books that entertained me, educated me a bit, forced me to look at the world from a different angle and by the time I was done I felt better having spent time reading it.

Twilight? Not so much...sure, I'm entertained, and slightly curious about the idea of vampires.

So, please share with me what your English Patient book or movie is! The one that everyone else swears by but you just don't get....honestly, I'll respect your opinions as long as you accept there is one less chick falling for Edward!

9 comments:

agent713 said...

I don't like the concept of vampires so I haven't even tried "Twilight" yet.

My "English Patient" (which I've also never atempted) is "Life of Pi". I tried. At least two times. I just couldn't get into it. He's still stuck out on that raft in my mind because I've never finished the book to see if he get's off...and frankly, I could care less!

tz said...

my english patient was the movie Legends of the Fall...I would so go for aiden quin, the awesome house and life of a socialite over mooning over brad pitt who wrestled bears...julia ormand just pissed me off w/ her mooning and cying and dying over brad...sheesh!

Dodi said...

Confession: I HATED Atonement. Worst. Movie. Ever. I cannot express strongly enough how I wish I had never even heard of that movie.

(Also hated English Patient, bored me to death.)

I think Twilight is a bit like Harry Potter. You either love it or you don't. I have no desire to read it, and doubt I'll read the books.

Have you read "A Thousand Spledid Suns"? You'll like it a lot.

Kaesmom said...

I read the entire Twilight series. It was good. It was mindless fiction. Was it FABULOUS? No. It was a quick, easy read. THAT'S why I liked it.

My "English Patient" for movies is Pulp Fiction. Ugh. Horrible, boring, stupid movie that started and ended in the middle. What's up with THAT? My book version is The Hobbit. I konw I know. It's supposed to be a classic. But I was bored to tears.

tosin said...

I'm not even sure if I should say this out loud, so I am going to whisper it....

I did not like My Sisters Keeper. In fact, I so much did not appreciate the ending that I have no desire to ever read anything else by her again. NOT impressed.

There. I said it. And I'm not sorry.
:)

ganelle said...

I have read each and every Twilight book, and seen the movie - on opening night. That said, I would NEVER call it great. Maybe not even good. In fact, I feel a bit guilty for even reading any of it. It's all so STUPID! Don't feel badly that you don't like it around me.

For me? It was Napoline Dynamite. I just didn't get it.

shirley said...

I've read all of the Twilight books, and while they were entertaining, I didn't consider the books to be great literature. Even the characters bored me.
The movie seemed a bit like a spoof, but maybe that's how I see the series.

I didn't really get The English Patient, either. Or the movie Brazil, when I first saw it. Now I think it was pretty brilliant.

agent713 said...

Tosin I haven't read "My Sister's Keeper". I've read one other of her books and I have another one sitting on my night stand. It's been there for months. I read the first two chapters. I doubt I'll finish it.

Aimee said...

Keep with it, it will get better.