Friday, November 21, 2008

Gratitude Challenge: Day 21

"We'll always have Thing One"...this has become a recent and frequent remark made by either myself or Hubby. And so while the younger Thing is starting to seek more independence , and has started to question traditional practices (yeah, he recently questioned the validity of the man in the red suit. Sheesh, next thing he'll be asking is where do babies come from...I'm so not ready for any of this), there sits the older Thing. His only real worry seems to be whether it is his turn on the laptop or not.

And so yes, these days it is rather obvious that younger brother has passed older brother in many ways...both physically and emotionally. Does this make me sad? I won't lie: of course I have my moments. But most of the time I remain ever so grateful for the progress he has made. When you are told your child is somewhere on the autism spectrum, you have no idea what to expect in terms of the progress he will make. We're lucky: he's made a remarkable amount of progress through the years. Yes, he still has some hurdles to cross, some skills to master...but I hang onto the hope and the belief that he'll keep plugging along...at his own pace on his own terms. He has to...because I"m way too selfish to give up my basement craft space so my adult child can live in the family basement! (giggle giggle...)

3 comments:

Lee said...

Oh Martha, I so wish I lived closer. What a lovely post. Hug worthy for sure, then I'd pour you a glass of wine :)

Dodi said...

But they do extend the magic in our lives that much longer... yes?

You're doing all the right things for him to grow and mature. He'll get there - it'll just be in his own time.

Anonymous said...

Indeed both things are boys to be grateful for, and I too count it a blessing to be a part of the family. Speaking on love, Paul writes in I Cor. 13:7 "it always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres". Keep on loving those 2 things and the rest will fall into place in time.
Hugs to you all,
Laura