Monday, October 20, 2008

Taking Flight


As most of you know, I have this small passion for scrapbooking. And in my pursuit of this hobby, I've found a couple online communities that share my passion. One of the places I like to hang out is called Scrapshare. It's a message board where we exchange tips and ideas for scrapbooking. Yet along the way, friendships are formed and a real sense of community has been formed. Like any community, there are happy times and then there are the sad times.

This past week was one filled with sorrow. Last Monday, one of our members rushed her 5 yr old son (Danny)to urgent care only to soon learn he had a tumor lodged on his brain stem. While surgery was attempted, Danny would not wake up from his surgery and soon the hardest decision any parent must make was being thrust upon Donnann and her husband.

Soon the questions were being raised on Scrapshare. What could we do as a community to show our support for this friend during her most darkest hours? A fellow member, and close friend of Donnann suggested a balloon release. (if interested, Desi has also done a remarkable job of keeping us all updated through her blog.)

So this morning at 1030 local time, the Things (with a visiting Thing) and I did our part...My heart truly aches for what this family has gone through. And what they will go through in the days to come. This has got to be simply every parent's worst nightmare.

I ask that all of you, take a moment to hug your things a little tighter today...giving thanks for the health they enjoy. Celebrate the days we are blessed with! And please keep Donnann, Dan and their surviving daughter Madison in your prayers.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own
understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your
paths straight. -Proverbs 3:5-6







5 comments:

Dodi said...

chills up and down my spine - as DD2 is also 5 years old. I'll keep them in my prayers - and have my mom make sure he's got everything he needs up there.

ganelle said...

Yikes. I can relate to the utter helplessness and fear of having a child in a scary health situation. Please pass on our love and support.

tz said...

wow, how heart breaking! and what a beautiful way to show support.

Christy said...

Thanks Martha, I am so glad that your kids participated in honoring Danny.

Aimee said...

Makes being in the car with mine all the more special and not so annoying. My thoughts are with then today.