Sunday, August 20, 2006

Simply Remarkable!

This weeks Blog Challenge asks us to look at what it is that makes the ordinary things about us remarkable. In case you are curious, here is the challenge in its original format:
Read the following quote and think on it:
"My students were middle-class kids who were ashamed of their background. They felt like unless they grew up in poverty, they had nothing to write about...I felt sorry for these kids, that they thought their whole past was absolutely worthless because it was less than remarkable."-David Sedaris, from an interview in January Magazine
Admit it. You've said, "I have nothing to blog about. My life is boring." Haven't you. Haven't you?
Your challenge is to write about it anyway.Write about your less than remarkable life. Write about your routines, your habits, your schedule. Find the unremarkable things about your life and CELEBRATE them.
Go - be remarkable!


In my circle of friends, I'm known for my ability to story tell. If you want to know the latest news, it is a pretty well established fact that you should just ask Martha because surely she's heard "something" on the subject. Now I will admit that there are days when I'm telling less of an actual story and more of just spreading gossip and starting rumors. I've been known to embellish the details just a tad and spinkle in an extra dash of snark if I'm feeling on the grouchy side. But no doubt about it, being able to tell a good tale is one rather simple fact about me that makes me remarkable.
Now, to look at me, yes you do indeed see nothing but average. The house, the husband, the kids, the occasional vacation to see family and friends. But I take great pride in these average accomplishments and enjoy celebrating them in my blog.
I'm fast approaching my one year anniversary of regular blogging. I'm proud of this accomplishment and view it as something remarkable. This is actually my second blog. My first one is hopefully long since deleted as I was approaching it from a different mind set and I didn't like the tone it was taking.
Remarkable things have happened since I've started to blog. I've gotten to know several other SS bloggers a little bit better because I routinely check in on their blogs. They comment on mine, and I try to comment on theirs. Locally, two of my gal pals have started blogs themselves. Their lives are no more interesting than mine but I think they see how through a blog you can take the every day stuff and while weaving a story make it interesting and memorable.
And isn't that what makes us all remarkable? Our ability to recognize that our experiences are unique and worth remembering and celebrating.

1 comment:

tz said...

wow, you really are a remarkable story teller! And I certainly love to hear your pearls of wisdom....i hardly think of it as gossip!

you also have two remarkable children, who are quite lovely (can you say that about boys) and bright and very well behaved...you done good!