Saturday, March 18, 2006

Undomestic Goddess

Fear not folks, just because I've not reviewed a book in over a week, doesn't mean I've fallen back into my old ways of wasting time on the computer. I did indeed finish another book and just didn't get around to writing up my thoughts on the book. I am trying to review each book that I read, not just to entertain and impress you, but to keep track of how many books I can read in a year. I didn't set a goal for myself because I want to read yet not be forced to read in order to meet a goal. Oh brother, here I go, rambling...

This week's book was titled Undomestic Goddess and was written by Sophia Kinsella. She apparently has written the very popular Shopaholic series of books. I've not read those and thus wasn't familiar with her style of writing.

The premise of the story is that Samantha is a career driven, high power lawyer, about to make partner (the youngest ever) at her work place in London when suddenly she makes a multi-million pound mistake and she freaks and flees. She finds herself on the first train out of London with no plan in mind. She ends up asking for help at an estate and they think she's there to apply for the housekeeper's job and they hire her on the spot. She's tired, had a headache and needed a place to sleep for the night so she goes along with the story. And well, if you've read any chick lit out there, you can imagine how the rest of the story unfolds.

All in all, it was a light and breezy read. The book had a certain energy to it that had you reading through it rather quickly to see what happened next. But in terms of "is this story really possible?"...of course you can pick apart the premise of the story quite easily. I found it hard to imagine that even a high power career woman wouldn't know how to tend to even the most basic details of domestic life like making a sandwich or a pot of coffee. (I mean, even my very bachelor husband could make a Spam Sandwich and knew how to operate his washer before I came on the scene). But, the author needed to have the character be a total undomestic goddess in order for the rest of the story to work.

If you want a fun, quick light hearted read, then be sure to check this one out. But, if your time available to read is limited, I'd suggest you look for something with a little more power to it.

And now, I must sign off and start in on my next reading project. I know, I know: I don't like nonfiction but a friend recommended another work of non fiction that I simply have to check out. Tune in next week for my review of "The Sociopath next door" (SEE: even you find that title intriguing don't you?)

No comments: