Friday, February 24, 2006

Maybe you CAN judge a book by the cover...

I finished reading "Tuscany for Beginners" by Imogen Edwards-Jones. I picked it only because it looked to be about the right size for me to tackle and the cover looked interesting. It turned out to be a pretty good book. A light read, didn't require a lot of thinking on my part but I was able to put it down and pick it back up as my schedule allowed.

The primary character in the book, Belinda, opened a B&B in Tuscany after fleeing England following a very upsetting divorce. She views herself as being pretty close to perfect: between her knowledge of the Italian culture and community to her gracious skills as a hostess. She really has it ALL together...if you believe her journal entries. Then, the author switches gears and tells you the rest of the story. I found this to be a rather interesting way to develop a character and give her depth. Seeing how she views herself compared to those around her. And I wonder: is she REALLY that delusional?

Which got me to wondering...am I delusional on such a level? When I blog, am I reporting only the rosy side of things? Perhaps...but that comes more from my knowing that once you post things on the Internet, it is a whole lot harder to issue retractions. I have consciously tried to keep things here upbeat. Which explains why some times there is a LONG lag between postings. Momma always said "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing"...and that is especially true when it comes to the internet. In my daily life, I don't think I'm delusional. But, I wonder, if I were, would someone have the guts to set me straight? IF I had a "belinda" in my life...would I be able to tell her "hey, chickie, knock it off". I'm not sure I would be able to do that.

So, there you go, even in the midst of moving, I managed to find time to read a book. Hmmm...maybe I am the all that girl in the neighborhood? If so, would someone please tell me to knock it off?

No comments: