Sunday, January 19, 2020

Sunday Funnies

When I first started blogging so many years ago, one objective was to have a place to record the random funny things the kids would say.   When I  went back to work in 2010, I started to add in the occasional "School Nurse Tale", reflecting on the funny (or stupid) things other peoples kids would do. 

The Things were young enough and their stories innocent enough that I didn't feel I was violating their privacy by sharing their silly remarks.   During the teen years, I found myself holding back- sure they still did funny stuff, but heavily laced with adolescent stupidity.   I shared less- to protect their privacy and well, to hold up some image that I had a handle on this parenting gig (which, really, does anyone have a handle on the parenting gig during the teen era?!)

However, recently I've been looking back through some of those older tales and found myself chuckling.   I had forgotten certain stories but by reading the entries, well, there they were back in the forefront of my memory.

This week, as I shared the latest "can you believe what the Things said" story at work, I was reminded of the need to start writing some of the stories down.    They are back to being less personal, more generalized fun and a true reflection of both their personalities.   As for the school nurse tales, well, we shall see where that goes- I currently work in such a very small setting that it would be pretty easy to connect the dots on which kid said what, and to be honest, most of my work stories these days are more bittersweet than straight up funny.   I love what I do, but I think I'll have to rely on my own memory and keep those stories close to my heart (at least for now).

But, hey back to the kids...Let's start with Thing One-  Mom, I've decided I can't become a drug addict".  I hesitantly replied with a long pause of "OK, tell me more".     "Well, for starters, I'd have to leave the house and you know I don't like that.   And then, I'd have to talk to people to you know, score my drugs.   Those two things together just don't sound like it would be worth it, so no drug addict for me".

Until next time...remember...Life is better when you are laughing

No comments: