Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Right Now: Fall Break Recap

Right Now

I'm listening to the chatter of colleagues as we figure out how to coordinate an early dismissal.   I'm not sure how I feel about all this winter-like weather arriving this early in the season.   Oh well-I'm here at work, safe, and warm so why not use this time to update the blog.

I'm loving that I'm still enjoying the afterglow of a near perfect Fall Break.   Breaks are always welcome, but sometimes they aren't as restorative as I wish.   Such was not the case this go around.   Things were as close to perfect as one could expect.

The adventure started with my flying out to Vegas to meet up with Hubby.   He opted to get a head start, stopping to enjoy the fall colors and stay ahead of the weather that sometimes starts to impact our exit options out of the front range. 

Our first night found us glamping along the dry lake bed just outside of Vegas. 
While it's not my favorite location for boondocking, it is free and convenient to the Las Vegas airport so I can't complain.  Hubby asked me why I don't care for this spot- and it's that I feel unsettled when we camp here- for no real reason other than perhaps I've watched too many episodes of CSI to not dream of Gil Grisham and his team showing up to investigate the cause of some bizarre crime?
 Anyways, we survived the night, and we soon found ourselves on the road to  Zion NP
taking our time to cruise through the Lake Mead National Recreational area

 before stopping for the night in St. George, UT.  Here we would have our first "Harvest Host" experience.   

What's Harvest host?   Well, it's a membership program that links glampers with businesses that are willing to let you dry camp on their property.   From farms, ranches, wineries, to museums- you can park it for the night with the only request being that you patronize the business.  That meant checking out an aircraft museum.   Yes-quite the hardship- 
A Saturday trip to Costco in St- George- yes we have happy hour snacks- no it wasn't worth braving the chaos of Costco on a Saturday...

Sunday found us joining my 2nd cousin, John and his wife Renee at the South Campground in Zion National Park.    We would also meet up with our friends the Machidas that were staying at a nearby campground for some exploring the park together.  



 Last year, Dom & I  passed through the park but stayed just long enough for a photo or two.   This time, as we planned for our Fall break travels I decided I wanted to return to Zion and actually test out some of the hikes.    

And test them out we did- I think we hiked 4 of the hikes-mostly the "easy" rated hikes with one listed at moderate.
  Since I'm nursing a frozen shoulder (a complication of my rheumatoid arthritis), easy hikes were about all I felt I should be doing.   

 And for the record, the pictures I'm sharing are all courtesy of Hubby.   Again, with the bum shoulder, I put away my phone, focused on staying upright, and left the picture taking to the others...well except for a few of my trademark goofy shots
 Bridget taking a picture from the rear view mirror of the Scarlett

 Hike a little-read a little-repeat-repeat-repeat

From Zion we headed over to Page, AZ for the sole purpose of exploring Antelope Canyon.   If it's not on your bucket list, it should be. 

 Our very friendly guide, Daniel, was charming as he shared his knowledge of this canyon in a rather millennial way "Don't worry- you will get great pictures, because , I will take the pictures for you!".   And yet at the same time, he had such pride in the history of his ancestors as he shared tidbits of the canyon's history.   It had been used for centuries by the Navajo people to hide from others, but it wasn't until the 1990s, when it was featured in National Geographic that the canyon gained in popularity.   Now with instagram-it's become a major tourist destination. 

Again, I put away my camera- and let the others take the pictures...
And with another Happy Hour
and a sunrise,
it was time for me to head out for Part B of Fall Break adventures.
Originally I was going to fly from Page, AZ to Vegas, saving hubby the drive back.   But, my flight got canceled and before I even finished cursing, Hubby had agreed to drive me back. 
After we'd successfully navigated the Las Vegas Strip in the RV
another unexpected surprise occurred- my hotel-booked through air miles, was cancelled.

Fear not, my knight in a less than shiny RV, saved the day by offering up a Plan B lodging option..
Clark County Shooting Complex!

Saturday morning- and it was time to say goodbye to Hubby 
and HELLO TO VEGAS...
While I waited for my partners in crime to arrive,
I soaked in the atmosphere of a Parrot Head Pool Party
I spent some time in prayer...
And joined friends in a toast
And spent a little more time poolside...
With just one more sunset before the big show...
 Anxiously awaiting...

 Lady Gaga...

I've said several times "I'm not really into concerts" but there are a few people out there that I really wanted to see perform live.   Lady Gaga was one of those individuals.   The girl can SING...and when not singing, she talked to us, sharing bits of herself and how she came to love jazz. 

I'm feeling comfortable.   Work has settled into a nice routine with the madness of the start of the year quieting down.   And here it is, the powers that be decided to dismiss school early.   So with one final preview, I shall push the publish button....

Until next time...stay warm, stay connected with friends and family and once in awhile, go a little Gaga over something out of your usual comfort zone!

No comments: