Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Right Now: January 2018

I'm listening:   to the morning chatter here in the office.   It's a happy chatter, and what a refreshing way to gradually enter each work day.   It gives me a chance to reflect and during this morning's reflection, I realize I haven't blogged in forever...and I miss that.   So, here I go, off to try to and resume a healthy habit I once practiced with greater regularity.

I'm loving that 2018 seems to be starting out pretty smoothly.   December was a blur with my father facing some health challenges and Thing 2's car being stolen.    I'm happy to report that my dad's health has stabilized to the point where he has now been cleared to proceed with a planned and very necessary surgery.

  And Thing 2 is now the proud owner of a new-to-him car, complete with co-signing a loan.   But alas, bad mom that I am I have no photographs of said new car.   I'll add it to the to-do list.  For now this picture of him learning to operate a side car will have to suffice...
I'm loving that despite how busy the days get, I still find time for hanging with the ladies.   In December, we went for a little culture...attending this fabulous musical.  


I'm needing to find time for regular exercise.    For the longest time, I had a walking partner who far exceeded me in the motivation department.   She called, and made sure we walked.   But she's had some back problems and has scaled back her walking efforts.   And that's all the excuse I needed to back off on my personal efforts.    This past weekend we got a small amount of snow that Thing 1 and I shoveled.   The sore muscles and the stamina were really a sign that I need to get myself back in the routine of exercise.    Start small, go slow but just get out there and do it.

I'm feeling ready.   Ready to continue with my weight loss journey after a small derailment with holiday eating.   I gained about 3 pounds and have managed to already say goodbye to half that gain.  If I add exercise, I'm confident that the rest will soon follow.   And if not, I'll still have peace of mind that I am treating my body with the kindness it deserves.   I'm ready to get back to the great joy of reading (or listening) to a good book.   So far, I've been on a winning streak, totally enjoying the memoir of Glennon Melton Doyle, who wrote Love Warrior and am now laughing with the wisdom of Lauren Graham of Gilmore Girls fame.    I'm also reading a book called "Reading with Patrick" and it is the true story of a teacher who goes to Arkansas as part of the Teach for America.   She used a writing prompt similar to what I use here on my blog and the words of her young students brought tears to my eyes.   At times I forgot how protected my little world is.

Time to wrap things up...but fingers crossed that this new year continues in a positive and healthy direction for me and my family!   Until next time....

No comments: