Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Right Now: September 2017

Right now

I'm listening to podcasts.   Or at least I was on my way into work this morning.   My new commute is about 20 minutes long.  Not terrible, but long enough that I need something to occupy my thoughts.  I'm not really a fan of the radio, nor am I a connoisseur of music, so podcasts have become my "go to thing".   Everything from NPR to pop culture can be found on a podcast...and the best part?  Free!
I'm loving that:   we've turned the corner from summer to Fall.  
Photo credit:  Hubby, somewhere near Ouray CO

 The furnace has been turned on, the mountains have had their first dusting of snow and we are clearly headed into a new season.  Oh sure, I'll be weary of this season soon enough, but I do love the change that comes in the weather and the mindset.  

However, before I go into total winter hibernation, I love that I spent a little time this past month with friends and the hubby.  

First up was a quick camping adventure to Canon City.   

And a chance to catch the sunset on the impressive "Skyline Drive"

  Another objective of this little get away trip was to explore the options for "boondocking".   For those not into the RV/Camping lingo, boondocking references when you camp somewhere that is free..free in cost but also free of the usual comforts such as electric hook up, water, and facilities.   There are many options here in Colorado, especially on national forest land and BLM land.  However, in this setting, those options were either off on a rugged road that was not appropriate for the RV to traverse or in a canyon where cell coverage was non existent. 

So instead, it was a night spent at the KOA, with running water, electricity and wifi! 

This past weekend, I gathered with a group of dear friends (the Vegas ladies) to celebrate some birthdays.   As is our tradition, when someone has a birthday, we all wear sombreros to celebrate.

   It proves for a very festive and fun outing, and I'm always impressed with how friendly and curious others are as we sit there with our giant hats, laughing and chatting...
I'm needing to wrap this up.    Soon the students will arrive and my day will begin.   But what a treasure this new job is, that I have a chance each morning, to savor that cup of coffee, check in with colleagues and in this case, update the neglected blog.   

I'm feeling like:  I shall embrace the words shared by a friend this morning.   In the wake of the horrific tragedy in Las Vegas Sunday night, fear, hatred and anger can become the prevailing emotions.  However my friend remarked that intentional kindness is one thing that can combat those negative emotions circling our world right now.    

"In a world where we can be anything, be kind!"

No comments: