Monday, September 23, 2013

Weekend in Wisconsin

This past weekend I traveled back "home" to where one could say my story first began...
For it is in this little church along the Wolf River...
Where my parents were married....
And it is in the cemetery next door to the church, where we gather together to say our final goodbyes...
25 years ago, we joined to say good bye to my mom...
And so when my Aunt Sue passed away earlier this summer, and plans were being made for her memorial service here in the little cemetery in the woods...
 I knew that I had to be there...to check in with my mom 

Pay my respects to my Grandma ...
And of course, spend time with the relatives still living...

Thank-you to Uncle Royal and my dad for providing us with a lovely send off for Aunt Sue.   Without a doubt, Sue would have enjoyed the simplicity and celebration of her service. 

A ship sails and I strand watching till she fades on the horizon and someone at my side says 
She is Gone...

Gone where?   Gone from my sight, that is all.
She is just as large now as when I last saw her.
Her diminished size and total loss from my sight is in me, not in her.

And just at that moment when someone at my side says she is gone, there are others who are watching her coming over their horizon and other voices take up a glad shout.  
There she comes!

That is what dying is...
A horizon and just the limit of our sight.
Lift us up, Oh Lord, that we may see Further...
author unknown

Rest In Peace Aunt Susie!  

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thanks for this post Martha, it's just what I needed today. :)