Monday, December 17, 2012

Unforgettable You!

Patrick in first grade...

Miles and friends in first grade...
The events in Newton CT weights heavy on my mind right now.  I remember my own boys at that age.  So full of joy and excitement.  A natural sense of curiosity and oblivious to the worries of the world around them.  My heart goes out to the community as they try to make sense of that which seems impossible to imagine.

Driving home this afternoon, Thing One announced "I hope the Mayans are wrong, I'm not ready for the world to end".

Me neither, son, me neither....and again, my mind wandered back to those precious little first graders who probably were too young to even know about the Mayans, much less their calendar that ends later this week.

Thing One went on to reflect "And if it does end, how will the world remember me?  I'm too young to have made an impression on anyone.".

It was then that I just about lost it....no my son....you made an impression from that first breath you took and continue to impress all of those you meet.  From your funny remarks when we think you aren't paying attention, to your genuine concern for others. You are a determined young man:   working hard to figure out things that for most kids come naturally.  Your focus amazes me (and yes, some days it frustrates me as well).  And so while there are days when you drive me to drink...chances are pretty good I wanted that drink and am using your rather typical teenage antics as my excuse.

The world will remember you, Thing One....make no mistake about that....you are indeed unforgettable!

1 comment:

ganelle said...

You made me cry - course that isn't too hard these last few days...