Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Summer Reading....

Like most of us, I've been blogging less frequently this summer. And I suppose if you asked my family, they would be sure to tell you it is because I have spent my free time playing with my children, blessing my home with my constant cleaning, and preparing scrumptious and hearty meals

Yeah, right, they would tell you I've been hanging out on Facebook and surfing the blog/message board communities.   Even still, I have occasionally stepped away from the laptop and found myself reading a few good books. 
Here's a sample of what I've read this summer..
Last night I finished this book, Sarah's Key by T. de Rosnay.  Maybe because it is the most recent book I've read, but I think it was the favorite of all that I've read this summer.  The first half is written through two voices:  one is that of an American journalist, Julia, assigned to write an article in honor of the 60th anniversary of the Veledrome d'hiver.  The other voice is that of Sarah, a young Jewish girl who finds herself in the middle of this Jewish  round up in Paris  that occurred in 1942. While I've read my fair share of books set during this time in history, I found this one unique in the perspective it took:  what about those who saw their neighbors being arrested and shipped off to camps...what did they do after the raids moved on and how did they share this piece of history with their descendants.  It's a quick read and yet one that will linger in your mind after you've finished the story...worth checking it out from the library and reading.  

Next up, was Sugar Queen by S.A. Allen...a fascinating story with a twist to the plot that I really didn't see coming but appreciated just the same.  Another quick story that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth in terms of spending time with a good story and fun characters.

Nora, Nora, Nora:  what can I say?  It has been  years since I've read anything by the talented(?) Ms. Roberts but this cover caught my eye.  It looked like a fun book for summer.  Yet soon into it, I was quickly reminded why I don't care too much for the works of Nora Roberts:  she writes in series and it quickly became apparent that this is book 1 of a quartet.  So, while this particular story was easy enough to read, I found myself wondering about other characters and parts of the story.  I'm sure by the time she writes all four parts, my questions will be answered but I  don't care for the way in which she ignores story elements and focuses on just a portion of the story as it pertains to that character.  And let's not get into how quickly her heroine catches the man, resolves her personal issues and hang ups and heads off into the sunset known as Happily Ever After.  My  final thoughts on this?  skip it...life is too short to spend reading so-so  mass produced chick lit!  :)
Now in terms of chick lit worth reading, I would recommend Very Valentine by A. Trigiani.  She creates a heroine that is likable, includes a love interest that adds to the story without being the central theme and always includes some realistic supporting characters.  And while she too seems to use a formula in her writing (I think in every book, there is a trip to Italy involved), she manages to resolve the crisis in a way that is a bit more realistic than other romance novelists.  I'd recommend this one..
The Gate House by N. DeMille picks up 10 yrs after the ending of The Gold Coast.  I'd read the Gold Coast years ago and forgot some of the specifics, but the author does a good job of adding refresher  type elements to this  story so I found myself diving into the characters rather quickly.  It's not one of my favorite DeMille books (without a doubt, that would be Charm School) but it was still a pretty good read and worth the time.    
James Patterson:  the ultimate vacation author.  His books are so quick to get into and for the most part, easy to put down when necessary.  The 8th Confession is part of his series involving the ladies in SF who work together to solve the crimes (you've got the cop, the reporter, the coroner and the assistant DA).  I wouldn't say it is his strongest work in this collection, but proved to be the perfect vacation book when you find yourself frequently interrupted with other tasks.    I go through his stuff way too fast to ever consider purchasing...but because his stuff is quick reads, one can always find a copy of his stuff at the library (with little to no waiting involved)
I think this was the first book that got me back in the groove of reading at the start of summer.  LOVED IT...First Family is just like D. Baldacci's  earlier works with a  plot that is  engaging and the characters are interesting.  Some of his more recent works haven't captured my attention so I had sort of given up reading his stuff for awhile.  I'm glad to re-discover a favorite author and might just give some of his other stuff another try. 

So, there ya have it...a collection of stuff that I've read this summer.  Next up...oh my....I have a long list of suggested titles to check out.  Unfortunately, starting next week, I fear my nose will be stuck in such classics as Bates,  Mosby and Lippincott (I'm assuming those are still the "bibles" of nursing?)    Good thing I made the most of my summer by reading...not just facebook thank.you.very.much!  

1 comment:

ganelle said...

Love this! I have actually requested Sara's keys. I'm glad you liked it. I'll have to check out a few more of these. I'm always looking for a good read! Thanks!