Sunday, March 01, 2009

The Law of the pack in action

Yesterday was the Things' Blue and Gold Banquet.  For those not up on the world of scouting, this is the considered to be the  high holy day in the scouting season.  Rank is awarded, entertainment and food is enjoyed (yummy Maggianos no less!) as the group celebrates the birthday of the Boy Scout organization.  And as I watched one young man receive his wolf badge, I was moved to tears.  It didn't help that his momma (a friend of mine) was also softly sobbing.  You see, her son is quirky.  Or as the experts call it "on the spectrum".  
But yesterday, the only label that mattered was he is now a cub scout, with the rank of wolf!  

And as I look at the photos I took  yesterday, I'm reminded of the third line in the Law of the Pack:  The pack helps the Cub Scout grow.  There is no disputing the fact that S. has had some incredible growth this past year and I can't help but think some of that has come from his friends in the pack...standing by his side, encouraging him to try new things and at the same time, accepting him quirks and all in a community where all anyone is asked is to "do your best".  

5 comments:

ganelle said...

You guys got MAGGIANOS?!?! Are you KIDDING?!?! We had a pot-luck. I think we need to switch packs!

Anonymous said...

Amen! Those are the stories we like to hear about scouting.

Dodi said...

High Holidays! LOL!

You're right, when their peers get behind them to encourage them quirky ones gain so much confidence! This is a very touching story.

Colleen O said...

hmm - no worms here, I'll have to keep looking!

That's got to be a great feeling! May it last until Eagle Scouts! Some time you'll have to give me the basic outline of boyscouting - I think they've got a better plan than the Girls.

Sitting In Silence said...

I was looking for the worms as well....

Boyscouting sounds great over there. I even think my neighbours next door take their kids...although I'm sure they are hoping that they will get lost in the bush or something LOL...