Friday, January 18, 2008

When did I get old?

Earlier this week, I was visiting with friends and we were talking about shoes. Not like the girls from Sex in the City and chatting up fancy shoes. Nope, we were talking about comfortable, sensible shoes and which brands help tired aching feet the best. The lone 20-s0mething at the table looked perplexed as I teased that her days of buying based on looks alone will come to a screeching halt soon enough.

At that point, I wondered when did I get old?

Tonight I'm faced with another truth that comes with getting older. The reality that some of us will be called Home way before we are ready. Tonight, a childhood friend of mine is saying her final goodbye to her twin brother . He leaves behind a loving family, and really didn't have time to get old (even if he had discovered the benefits of sensible shoes)

May God Bless Cathy and her family.

2 comments:

tz said...

oh nooo, so sorry to hear about your friend's brother....it's seems like each decade has a new stage...in our 20's we were all getting married, in our 30's having babies and now that the 40's are in place (ok, or will soon be for me) you hear more about illnesses and such...and some of our parents are dealing with more serious issues....i think that's the thing i'm not looking forward to in the 2nd half of life...i think i'll like most everything else though...especially the sensible shoes...now i can wear them without anyone thinking i'm gay...:-)

Colleen O said...

That is so sad, and will happen more and more to us "Not So Much about Sex in the Suburbs" gals.

I was watching "What not to wear" today, (they could do a whole week on me, but that's not the point) and they pointed out several times that this 34 year old was "no spring chicken" - which means what for us almost 43 year olds?

I only own 1 pair of heals now, and I never have the desire of cause to wear them.