Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Did I bring my friends he asked...

For several years I've belonged to a neighborhood playgroup (Hi Dodi!). And luckily, we've not been your average playgroup. We've fed the kids all assortments of unhealthy snacks, we've drank "Mommy juice" from our coffee cups (not even wondering or concerned if it is 5 o'clock somewhere!). And through it all we've become good friends. Oh sure, the occasional competitive parenting moment has occured (mostly during the toilet training stages and preschool selection era) but for the most part, we all like each other and have become good friends. We've lost a few moms to job transfers and relocations (we miss you Allison and Christine!) and we've gained a few new members (although we've yet to get them to ALL drink from those spiked coffee mugs!) Although my kids are often in school when the group gathers, I still enjoy stopping in for some chick chatter. So, some of the newer kids know me but don't know my kids that well.

Yesterday I was at the pool with my boys, when the son of one of our newer members showed up. I said hello and mentioned that most of the gang was here today...listing off the names of several other neighborhood families I'd seen poolside. This adorable little guy looks at me and asks "And did YOU bring your friends from China with you?"...

I thought: what is he talking about? I couldn't remember any visiting relatives...Oh wait, do you mean MY children? Yeah, those boys...
And then I smiled...yes, I did bring my friends from China with me...

and yes, it is a compliment that the Things look more like their dad than me...

No comments: