Thursday, April 27, 2006

Proof of experience

So, next week I'm supposed to start my new job with the school system. I'm going to be the over-educated, underpaid (but then again, any job in a school setting is underpaid) teaching assistant. I've thought it through and really feel like this is the right thing for me to do.

I just got a call from some administrator type, asking that I bring in my qualifications and proof of experience. Having never worked in a school before I said "does that mean my resume and other assorted documents supporting my education and work history?"

Her response took me back to all those little ladies working for the government (most wearing tennis shoes with their skirts): 'Oh no, I'll need letters from where you worked, proving you've worked with children".

Hmmm: lets create a paper trail when the proof is right in front of us all...my two Things have been my work, for the past 8.5years. Do I ask them to writet the letter? Was I not approached about this job by the staff because of all the volunteer hours I have put in working with the students.

At this point, I have neither the time nor the inclination to dedicate toward the making of a paper trail. Sure, I may not end up with that extra dime or nickel an hours that the paper trail is designed to support/validate. They can keep the change: I just want to start doing what I enjoy the most...working with kids.

No comments: