Thursday, April 06, 2006

Happy Birthday Audrey!


I've struggled with what to post to mark what would have been Mom's 69th birthday today. (she's the little one sitting next to her big sis, Phyllis). I've typed and deleted several times over. What I write is either too sappy or too sassy. Mom would not have approved of either approach. So, instead, I looked to my good pal Google for some help. When in doubt, Google! Certainely someone else has already come up with just the right thing to say on a day when you want to remember the past but celebrate the present. And sure enough, someone else had managed to come up with just the right words to express my feelings.

So, I share with you these words, written by someone else. I hope that anyone who reads this, will take a moment to think some nice thoughts about your own mom. For as Maya Angelous once said in an Oprah interview, regardless of your relationship with your parent, you will miss them when they are gone from your life. I know I still miss my mom, some 18 years after she lost her battle with breast cancer.


I still Miss my Mom very much
If possible, now even more than ever
As I finally begin to understand
What it means to have lost her so young.
And suddenly, I"m not so afraid anymore
to let myself think and talk about her,
To take that look in the mirror
and see her face smiling back at me,
to connect with her, talk to her,
be reminded of her love for me, her daughter.
I'm not so afraid anymore
to ask questions about my mom,
her life, her goals, her dreams,
what she wanted for her kids,
If she would have been proud of me.
I'm not so afriad anymore
to share my thoughts with you,
And to admit that in my heart I'll always be
the little girl who desperately wants her mommy back!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Happy Birthday posting in rememberance of mom. I too miss her very much but I take great comfort in knowing that she is alive in heaven with the Lord("Because I live, you will live also." John 14:19)and that I will see her again someday. I hope that you have that same sense of assurance.

FYI...mom though would have turned 70 this year (4-6-36). YIKES! I wonder how she would have felt about that one?!!

Martha said...

Gee...you are indeed right! Sis remains the math genius in the family! 70! Wow! Wonder how she would have wanted to celebrate? I'm guessing there would have been wine, roses, friends and maybe even a hottub involved? :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful message.